Its important to understand how to use dermaroller correctly. Without proper instructions, derma rolling can damage your skin and trigger an infection. Follow the simple derma roller instructions provided here to transform your skin.
- Reduction in Fine Lines & Wrinkles
- Reduction in Crow’s Feet
- Acne Scar Removal
- Stretch Mark Removal
- Reduction in Hyper Pigmentation
- Smoother Skin Tone
- Boosts Collagen Production
- Boosts Absorption of Skin Care Products Tremendously
- Increases Concentration of Topical Products in Your Skin
What is derma-rolling?
Derma-rolling is a procedure that produces 1000s of micro punctures (also known as micro channels, micro traumas or micro-injuries) on your skin. This simulates your skin to produce a great deal of collagen and elastin in order to heal the treatment area. As a result, the extra collagen produced can fill in fine lines, wrinkles and acne scars.
Derma-rolling can also increase the efficacy of your topical product by boosting its absorption rate into the skin.
What is a derma-roller?
It is simply a plastic roller with hundreds of sharp protrusions or needles. It has various sizes. They are 0.25mm, 0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm.
0.25mm is strictly for boosting topical product absorption and can stimulate collagen production. Generally, you should stay with 0.25 to 0.5 before jumping to larger rollers.
BEFORE SKIN NEEDLING TREATMENT
- DO NOT use your dermaroller if you are currently having acne breakouts.
DO NOT use a dermaroller if you have any of the following conditions:
- Raised Scars, Moles, or Keloid Condition
- Active Acne, Cold Sores, or Herpes
- Nodular/Pustular Rosacea
- Hives, Eczema, or Psoriasis
- Inflammation or wounds of any kind
- Warts, Fungal Infection, or Skin Cancers/Melanoma
- Blood Clotting Problems
- Sunburn or Solar Keratosis
- Recently had Accutane/Radiation Therapy
- Abnormal Skin Disease.
Do not do derma-rollering in the following cases:
- Drugs that Cause Photosensitivity
- Drugs that slow down healing
- Blood Thinning Drugs
- DO NOT use the roller on your lips, eyes, sores and open wounds.
- For Beginner, AVOID using needle size ABOVE 1.0 mm on your face. It can cause side effects.
- Needle length BELOW 0.5 mm is not effective for wrinkles, scars and stretch marks.
- NEVER share your roller.
Bleeding and Pain
The size of your dermaroller will determine how much you bleed and how painful is your treatment. 1.0mm, you will experience minimal to mild bleeding unless you roll your skin EXCESSIVELY.
Also, you rarely see blood when treating certain parts of your body with higher fat deposit. If you are performing body treatment, you probably won’t experience any bleeding except a few red marks! It is 100% normal.
Too much derma-rolling can cause longer recovery time, prolonged redness, swelling and even temporary needle marks. Therefore, you should never force your skin to bleed via excessive rolling and base your result on the amount of bleeding you experienced.
Please refer to the chart below for other needle sizes.
How to Use Dermaroller Properly at Home?
Warning: If you are planning to use 1.5 or 2.0 mm roller, please avoid using it on your face unless you have professional instructions and a qualified physician. Incorrect usage of 1.5 or 2.0mm roller can lead to collagen breakdown.
Step 1) You MUST make sure that your dermaroller is not defective before usage. If your dermaroller is defective, DO NOT USE IT! First, a normal dermaroller should roll freely, and it should not get stuck while rolling. Otherwise, it is defective.
Second, You should examine your roller closely. A normal dermaroller should not have irregular or bent protrusions. Otherwise, it is defective.
Step 2) In order to prevent infection, you MUST sterilize the roller head for 20 to 30 minutes BEFORE & AFTER the micro needling procedure. Isopropyl alcohol is recommended.
Cleaning your facial dermaroller correctly is extremely important. A dirty dermaroller can trigger a breakout or even an infection.
NOTE: I have noticed people using spray bottles that were filled with water or alcohol to clean their rollers. This will not clean your roller properly. Please do not do that!
Warning for using Boiling Hot Water
Boiling hot water can kill bacteria and germs, but you shouldn’t use it to disinfect your dermaroller. Boiling water can melt and damage your dermaroller because it is made mostly of plastic.
Step 3) Wash your face with an antiseptic/antimicrobial cleanser to remove oils, dirt and impurities. This will prevent any impurity from entering into your skin when you roll your skin. Clean treatment area again with rubbing alcohol to disinfect the area.
Step 4) Apply numbing cream to the treatment area. You must clean off the numb cream and disinfect the treatment area with isopropyl alcohol.
Step 5) Using gentle to moderate pressure (DO NOT force it), roll the device back and forth 2 to 4 times in different directions (vertical, horizontal, diagonal) while pulling the skin slightly with one hand. This will ensure easy penetration of needles into your skin. Please refer to the picture below.
Please be patient when treating around Hard-to-Reach or sourrounding eye areas.
To ensure you don’t irriate your skin and maximize coverage, roll back and forth with gentle to moderate pressure. Do not drag across your face with unnatural movement of the dermaroller. This can lead to scratches. Do not roll forcibly as this can lead to prolonged inflammation, irritation and recovery time.
Warning for Aggressive Rolling Motion
You should always roll with controlled motion with gentle to moderate speed in order to prevent slippage. By doing so, you can easily detect a defective roller that is either stuck or not rolling properly.
Step 6) When you finish rolling, wash your face with a gentle cleanser to remove all traces of blood. This will improve absorption of your topical product.
Step 7) Optional: You can apply antibiotic cream to speed up the healing process. Polysporin or Neosporin cream is recommended.
Step 8) Skin needling boosts the absorption of topical products tremendously. You should nourish your skin with your favorite skin care product (moisturizer, wrinkle cream, scar cream and anti-aging cream) immediately after treatment. This will improve your results by 100%.
Never apply topical products that contain irritating or toxic ingredients such as chemical peels immediately after a treatment.
Step 9) DO NOT wear makeup, sunscreen or tanning lotion immediately after treatment. These 3 products are not for deep skin treatment. They can enter deeply into your skin through the micro-punctures/micro-channels and cause an infection. Wait at least 24 hours for your micro-channels to close up before applying makeup, sunscreen or tanning lotion.
Step 10) You will notice a slight reddening of your treatment area. It is 100% NORMAL. This indicates that your skin is trying to regrowth new collagen. The redness will fade away after 2 to 7 days depending on the aggressiveness of your treatment. If you go outside during this period, please APPLY SUNSCREEN.
Step 11) Repeat step 1 to 9 ONLY after 4 to 6 weeks (For 0.5 mm, 075mm and above)
How to Clean Derma Roller?
You must clean your roller after each treatment. Follow the simple steps below.
- Sterilize the roller head for 20 to 30 minutes. Isopropyl alcohol.
- Brush your roller head with a New “soft bristle” toothbrush under warm water for about 1 minute or until you are satisfied. This will remove dirt and oils that alcohol cannot remove.
- Rinse your roller under hot running water.
- Let it air dry and store it away.
How often to Use Derma Roller?
- WARNING: Many inexperienced users recommended A few treatments per week. This is HARMFUL and IRRESPONSIBLE! This can damage your skin. You should NEVER have more than 1 treatment with 0.5, 0.75 to 1.0 mm needle size and above within 1 week.
- Important Note: Your skin requires at least 30 days to fully recover. You should NEVER start another treatment within 4 weeks. In doing so, you will damage new collagen fibers and minimize skin development.
- The secret to getting tremendous skin improvement is to treat your skin every 4 to 6 weeks. Please follow the simple dermarolling guideline below in order to minimize side effects.
If your skin is still red or irritated from the previous treatment, you should never start a new treatment NO matter what the guideline stated below. Your skin must be fully recovered before another procedure!
- 0.25mm – Use every 2 days or everyday ONLY if your skin can tolerate daily treatment
- 0.5mm – Use Once/Month or every 7 days ONLY if your skin can tolerate weekly treatment.
- 0.75mm – Use every 4 to 6 Weeks or Twice/Month ONLY if your skin can tolerate multiple treatments.
- 1.0mm – Use every 4 to 6 Weeks or Twice/Month ONLY if your skin can tolerate multiple treatments.
- 1.5mm – Use every 6 to 8 Weeks ONLY with professional supervision.
- 2.0mm – Use every 6 to 8 Weeks ONLY with professional supervision
Simple tips for ALL beginners
- If you are a beginner and unsure of what to use, stick with 0.25mm and use it every other day, or you can use 0.5mm (face only) every 4 to 6 weeks.
- Treatment for acne scars or wrinkles on face & body – 1.0mm microneedle roller once per month.
- To minimize side effects, NEVER have more than 1 treatment Per month and DO NOT treat the same area with various needle sizes in 1 session.
6 Common Derma Roller Side Effects
- There are 6 side effects that are commonly reported by users. They are harmless and 100% NORMAL. They are listed below.
- 1.Bleeding – Mild bleeding is very common during treatment. DO NOT PANIC! Wash your face after the treatment to remove all traces of blood. You will notice a few tiny red spots. They will disappear after 24 hours.
- 2.Needle Marks – Many people believe that aggressive rolling can produce better result. This is completely untrue! Rolling forcibly will irritate your skin and produce temporary needle marks. They are usually harmless. They will disappear in 1 to 7 days depending on the aggressiveness of your treatment.
- 3.Redness & Swelling – Everyone experiences mild redness and swelling after the treatment. This is an indication that your skin is rebuilding new collagen fibers. They will usually disappear between 48 to 72 hours. Avoid going outside or wear a sunscreen during this period.
- 4. Skin Dryness, Tightness & Peeling – Skin needling breaks down and exfoliates the top surface of your skin. Also when you dermaroll, your skin will lose moisture. As a result, you will experience skin dryness, tightness and peeling after a few days. This is very common. You will notice a smoother, evenly toned complexion after the peeling process.
- 5. Sunburn Sensation – You will experience a mild sensation of sunburn after a treatment. This is quite normal. It will disappear in several days. Do not use any scrubbing product until your skin is fully recovered.
- 6.Popping Noise – Dermaroller stimulates new collagen production by breaking down old scar tissues and wrinkles. This produces mild popping noises. This is perfectly normal.
There is a risk of inflammation, collagen damage and breakouts
A common problem with home microneedling treatment is the risk of overdoing it with aggressive rolling because many users want quick results. In doing so, your skin is in a constant state of inflammation and can not recover fully from previous treatment.
Consistent inflammation can trigger stress hormones, slow down skin repair and limit collagen growth. This will lead to the breakdown of collagen and skin breakouts. Therefore, it is best to wait for your skin to fully recover before a new treatment.
Abnormal or excessive usage of 1.5 to 2.0 mm rollers on a weekly or even daily basis is highly not recommended. This is completely wrong and can lead to prolonged inflammation.
In doing so, you are at risk of getting collagen damage and swelling. You should seek professional advices before using a roller with longer needles and only treat your skin every 4 to 8 weeks.
PLEASE use 1.5 to 2.0mm rollers responsibly and avoid weekly or daily treatment.
Post Treatment Precaution
- You should never apply topical products that contain irritating or toxic ingredients immediately after a treatment because they can bypass your epidermis and enter directly into your skin.
- In doing so, you are at risk of boosting toxicity or irritation in your skin. Consult your doctor if you are unsure about your skin care product.
Below are several examples of ingredient that you should avoid:
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids
- Beta Hydroxy Acids
- Glycolic Acid
- Kojic Acid
- Parabens (ex. Benzoic Acid)
- Perservatives (ex. BHA, Phenoxyethanol)
- Salicylic Acid
- Trichloroacetic Acid
- Comedogenic Ingredients
Supplements to Improve Results
Inflammation can reduce collagen growth. Taking these super supplements can minimize inflammation, boost immune function, improve collagen production, maximize healing and speed up recovery, thus improving your result immensely. These supplements are:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Vitamin D
- Essential Fatty Acid
- Gamma Linoleic Acid
- Grape Seed Extract
- Green Tea Extract
- Superoxide Dismutase
- Vitamin A, B Complex and C
Should I Use My Derma Roller Daily?
It is never a good idea to treat your skin excessively. Only 0.25 and 0.3mm rollers are designed for daily treatment because the needles are not long enough to cause micro trauma. However, if you are experiencing prolonged irritation, then it is best that you only treat your skin every other day.
0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm rollers are designed to cause micro trauma in your skin, thus causing mild inflammation. As a result, you body produces collagen to repair the trauma. However, inflammation also produces a protein called collagenase, which is responsible for breaking down of collagen.
Daily treatment with these rollers (0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm) will create prolonged inflammation, thus producing an extra amount of collagenase. This will cause more collagen to breakdown than usual. Therefore, it is not unusual to experience the loss of new collagen. It is best that you do not treat your skin daily with 0.5 to 1.5mm rollers.
Can I Use 0.25 Between Treatments of 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0?
- If you do not want to use (0.5, 0.75 or 1.0mm) all the time, you can give your skin a break by taking more than several months off.
- Also, you can use 0.25mm between treatments of 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0 to improve the absorption of your serum or cream.
- Please follow the guidelines below.
- Wait several days after your treatment of 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0 before using your 0.25.
- If your skin is still experiencing irritation/redness after a treatment of 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0, do not use 0.25.
- If you want to apply cream or serum after a 0.25 session, please make sure the ingredients are not irritating, toxic or comedogenic (pore clogging).
- If your skin is still experiencing irritation/redness from your previous 0.25 treatment, do not use 0.25 again until all redness or irritation is subsided.
DERMA-ROLLER PACKAGES $ 65.00 ea.
1.) 1.0mm 540 MICRO NEEDLE DERMAROLLER
- Stimulates collagen production
- Improves skin firmness and elasticity
- Reduces acne scars and pore size
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation
- Speeds skin restructuring
- Safe for all skin types
2.) TOPICAL NUMBING CREAM 10g
- Numbing ointment can use for laser hair removal, tattooing & body piercing, body waxing & bikini waxing, cosmetic tattooing
3.) 100% PURHYALURONICACID SERUM 10ml
- Does not contain flavors fragrances and surfactants.
- Increase skin moisture, repairs damaged skin.
- Rich in hyaluronic acid liquid.
- Lengthens moisture time during microneedling.
- Promotes skin absorption of nutrients.
- Increases skin elasticity, slows skin aging and reduces wrinkles.